Wayne County was set off from Northampton County lying north of Shohola Creek in 1798. In The First Court of Wayne County, September 1798, a petition was made for 6 townships to be erected: Buckingham, Mount Pleasant, Damascus, Palmyra, Canaan and Lackawaxen.
In the early 1800's, Berlin Township, Dyberry Township, and Lebanon Township were divided from Damascus Township.
The remaining 51,785 acres, or 10.6% of the total land in Wayne County, constitute the present Township, which is geographically the largest township in the county.
Early settlers in Damascus Township include: Joseph Skinner (1755), Simeon Calkin, Nathan Mitchell, Moses Thomas, Sr., Robert Land, Jesse Drake, Nicholas Conklin, Simeon Bush, Alexander Rutledge, Thomas Shields, and John Boyd. Other early surnames included Tyler, Keesler, Brigham, Sutliff, Kellam, and Young.
Historic Sites include: Hickory Lane Farmhouse (Skinner Homestead) at Tamany Flats, Moses Thomas Blockhouse Historic Archeological Site (Cushetunk), John Land House (Milanville), Captain Eli Beach House (Milanville), Milanville Schoolhouse (Milanville), Milanville Methodist Church (Milanville), Nathan Skinner House (Milanville), Philip O'Riley House (Damascus), Vail & Appley Store and Post Office, First Baptist Church (Damascus), and Appley House (River Road southeast of Damascus).
A later historical site is the Duck Harbor Sawmill. The sawmill is presently being restored as a historical site, and is an operating water-powered mill.